VINCI believes that hydrogen will play a substantial role to achieve the decarbonized society we are collectively targeting by 2050. Our Group has leveraged its internal expertise to study the entire hydrogen value chain and identify potential opportunities for VINCI entities to get involved in the deployment at scale of green hydrogen.
This collection of Deep Dives sheds some light on all aspects of the hydrogen sector from production to storage and distribution, and the various applications of hydrogen. They raise the following strategic considerations:
- Current hydrogen production is tied to fossil fuels and renewable hydrogen produced through electrolysis or steam reforming of biomass is today far from competitiveness.
- Technical and economic challenges arise as to how to store and transport hydrogen to end-users with different approaches possible for transporting hydrogen over short or medium distances or between continents.
- Opportunities for using hydrogen for certain road mobility applications should be pursued despite the current context where battery electric vehicles are becoming mainstream.
- Fuel-cell trains should be explored as a decarbonized alternative to diesel powered trains operating on unelectrified railway lines.
- Hydrogen powertrains could be the only game in town to address the looming decarbonization targets of maritime and air transport by 2050.
- The demand of hard-to-abate industries like steel and cement making, chemical production, and others, will account for the majority of low-carbon hydrogen by 2050.